Dec 31, 2009

Christmas at Dads



This Christmas, I spent a week at my dads and his girlfriends house out in Slave Lake, AB. I have been there a few times before, but only spent a day or so each time, and didn't get a chance to really get to know my dads girlfriend or her kids. I'm a shy person, so it takes me a while to really feel comfortable around new people, but I actually had a good time visiting there, even with people I didn't really know. Maybe it was because I had a few days to get used to the household before the majority of the kids showed up, or the fact that my younger brother was there too, but I felt pretty at ease most of the time.


I was really worried about going. I didn't want to feel left out, or like I was intruding on my dads other family's holiday. To be honest, the first few days before Christmas was the most fun. It was very relaxing, and despite being away from my computer and games, and all my stuff, I was rarely very bored. My dad and I watched some old Christmas videos that we used to watch when I was young, we went out with my brother and had a nice time shopping and just talking and catching up. And I actually had a fun time watchinga busy little 2 year old.

At my moms place we rarely eat meals together, and when we do, it doesn't quite feel the same as a big family meal all around a table. Of course, that could be due to the fact that we all work different hours, and that we don't have a kitchen table since our house is too small, so we use wooden dinner trays and sit at the couch. But it was nice to sit around a table with everyone talking, and laughing, and then all sitting around for a few minutes afterwards and just relaxing before cleaning up.




 Christmas eve and Christmas day itself were a bit awkward, and I did feel left out. It made me a bit sad, but it was fun to see the other kids and how well they all got along. And Christmas eve, I actually went to a church service with my dad and his girlfriend, and much to my surprise it was actually really nice and I didn't get the feeling I normally get from being in a church. Everyone was very nice and welcoming, and the pastor was funny and energetic.
Christmas day had its good times too, especially when they all realized everyone got a dollar store gun with the foam darts, the rest of the morning was spent shooting each other and hiding behind presents. It was generally a bit more of a energetic day than I'm used to, but there was also a lot more people than I'm used to as well. Christmas supper was an amazing meal, and I'm a bit sad I didn't stay long enough to get more of it really.

Unfortunately, on boxing day I woke up with a bad cold, and spent most of that day blowing my nose and napping, and that pretty much ended my trip to Slave Lake. Overall, I had a much better time that I'd thought I would have, and I am really glad that I went. It was nice getting to know some new people, and catching up with my dad and younger brother. I'm actually thinking it wouldn't be so bad to go visiting again soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Odd Existence Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template